How To Clean A Mattress Topper Foam & Stains At Home
Mattress toppers can help you to prevent your bed from getting dirty. Hence, you need to know some tips on how to clean a mattress topper.
Mattress toppers are inexpensive and popular methods to enhance the comfort level of mattresses. They sit at the top of the bed, below the sheets and mattress toppers that expose sweat, body oils, spills and other waste products that make the mattress dirty. Numerous mattress toppers are formulated with polyfoam, memory foam, latex and other natural components including, wool and feathers. These components can readily absorb wetness and cleaning materials. Due to this, they need special cleaning care. In this article, we will discuss the methods to clean mattress toppers.
How to clean a mattress topper foam?
To clean a foam mattress topper, you need to select those cleaning agents that don’t harm the shinning and colour of your mattress. If you find a liquid spill, you can use a cleaning material like enzyme cleaner or white vinegar. Here’s how you can clean foam mattresses.
- Launder and strip the mattress.
- Remove the cover from the bedding carefully by positioning it on a flat surface or floor. So the delicate foam material doesn’t damage.
- Use a vacuum holding attachment to vacuum the mattress.
- Put some baking soda on the whole surface of the mattress.
- Let the soda to sit on the mattress’s surface for 8 hours.
- Clean the mattress and remove the baking soda.
- Flip the mattress and repeat the steps 3 to 6 times for proper cleaning.
The technique is quick, simple and useful to remove stains from foam mattresses that uses two components including a vacuum cleaner and baking soda.
How to clean mattress topper stains?
If you want to clean stains from your mattress, then you have to follow a different approach. Here’s the process for removing stains.
- Select a cleaning agent like enzyme cleaner, dish soap, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide etc.
- Apply the solution on the mattress topper in the required amount.
- Smoothly blot the dirty area and soak the cloth in the solution.
- Use another fabric and dip it in the cold water and apply to the stained area.
- Repeat the above steps as needed.
- Apply baking soda and let it sit for some time on the mattress to draw out moisture.
- Vacuum the topper and air dry it.
Here are few cleaning solutions that you use to remove stains.
- Enzyme cleaner– Use commercial enzymes to remove natural stains including, sweat, urine and bloodstains.
- Vinegar– White vinegar is effective to remove some stains. Use a 1:1 proportion of white vinegar and water to get effective results.
- Hydrogen peroxide– Use a 1:1 proportion of hydrogen peroxide with water to remove dirt from the mattress.
How to clean the mattress topper with baking soda?
Baking soda is an effective cleaning agent to remove dirt and odour from your bed. Here are the steps to clean mattresses with baking soda.
- Firstly, remove the bedcoverings and wash them thoroughly into the washing machine.
- Vacuum up any dust, debris or dirt from the surface of the topper.
- On stains, apply pot cleaners in required amounts.
- Apply 208 to 624 grams of baking soda on it.
- Keep the topper in sunlight for some time.
- Let the baking soda sit on the surface of the topper for 24 hours.
- On your vacuum, use an upholstery attachment.
- Use a vacuum to remove the baking soda.
- Repeat the above process by flipping up the cover to full cleaning.
- Clean the mattress with baking soda 2 to 3 times a year.
How to clean a mattress topper at home?
To clean mattresses at home, here are the three ways you need to follow.
- Use vacuum cleaner- Using a vacuum cleaner, you can remove dust particles, grimes and prevent microorganisms from forming colonies.
- Use spot cleaning agents including, baking soda, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide etc.
- Use topper covers to protect the bed.
How to clean a mattress topper that was puked on?
- Remove the bed coverings.
- Use equal proportions of detergent and water and spray them on stains.
- Use a wet cloth to wipe out any residues.
- Air-dry the mattresses before putting new sheets.
1. How to clean a feather mattress topper?
Follow the steps to clean feather mattresses.
- Wash the mattresses with mild detergent
- Rinse and dry the topper in a tumble dryer.
- Hang the topper for 8 to 12 hours to dry.
2. How to clean a stained mattress topper?
Steps of follow
- Mix equal parts of white vinegar and cool water.
- Spray the mixture on the stained area.
- Let it dry for some time and rinse it off.
3. How to clean a bamboo mattress topper?
Steps to follow
- Wash the mattress with a mild detergent.
- Partially dry it and apply a non-chloride bleach to remove dirt.
- Let the bleach dry and wash thoroughly.
Also, check out our blog on How Much Does A Sleep Study Cost? to know more.