What is the Difference between Rayon and Viscose?
Most people don’t know the difference between rayon and viscose. And some of them assume that there is no difference between any of these two fabrics. But technically, it’s not true.
In this article, we will discuss the main differences between rayon and viscose threads.
What is the difference between rayon and viscose fibre?
The Difference Between Rayon And Viscose fibres is that- Viscose is a type of textile fibre obtained through the cellulose xanthate process extracted from plants and possess less absorption tendency. On the other hand, cellulose is extracted from wooden pulp obtained through immersion procedure and has high absorption capacity.
What is Rayon?
Rayon is a textile cloth made from the cellulose immersion process of the wooden pulp. It is a modified version of natural polymers. Rayon fibres have high absorption tendency and are seen in furnishing industry where it is processed to make curtains, blankets and bedsheets. Moreover, the formation of bandages and surgical masks also uses rayon as their prime component. The fibre readily absorbs the fluid in the surrounding area and keeps it dry. Additionally, it is very porous that circulates the air through it and is considered the efficient hypoallergenic fabric.
What is Viscose?
Viscose is similar to a textile fibre formulated through the cellulose xanthate process obtained from plant fibres. The process involves the desolvation of plant fibres and regenerates the new fabric through chemicals. As compared to other textiles, viscose has a softness and is used to make pants, shirts, coats, jackets, linings and different outfits. You can use viscose fabrics as disposable wipes due to their high softening feature. Hence, many people use it to wipe out their cell phones screen and different electronic items. They are resistant, durable and long-lasting.
What is the difference between cotton, viscose rayon fibres?
Viscose rayon is a variant of rayon fibres made from natural materials. The viscous rayon fibres are derived from different plants and trees including, beech, spruce, pine, hemlock, eucalyptus, bamboo, sugarcane and soy. Here are the advantages and uses of viscose rayon.
- Viscous rayon is an airy fibre that allows ventilation of air thereby, keeping the fabric cool and suitable for making summer clothes.
- Possess a high absorbing tendency that makes it a good alternative for creating activewear.
- Viscose rayon doesn’t trap moisture and heat and wicks away the sweat.
- The fabric has efficient colour retention property that prevents fading of the cloth.
- The fibre is affordable and cheaper than silk.
Uses of viscose rayon
Viscose rayon is used for several purposes including,
- Clothes- The fabric is suitable for making casual and formal wear that gives a classy finish to the outfit.
- Window curtains-They are excellent materials for drapes.
- Efficient for making cooling sheets, mattress protectors, mattress flame retardants and cellophane.
On the other hand, cotton is obtained from the cotton plant and has more tensile strength and hypoallergenic abilities than viscose rayon.
The other differences are as follows
- Cotton is obtained from the cotton plant. While viscose-rayon is obtained from plants, trees and chemicals.
- Cotton is powerful than viscose rayon.
- Cotton’s moisture-holding capacity increases when wet whereas, the holding capacity decreases for viscose rayon when wet.
- Cotton’s drape is not good as viscose rayon.
- Cotton clothes are easy to handle for laundry care but, viscose rayon is tough to carry.
- Cotton clothes develop wrinkles in themselves. And their size shrinks but, the viscose rayon clothes resist shrinking.
- Cotton is hypoallergenic but, viscose rayon is not.
- Cotton is environment-friendly but, viscose rayon is partially friendly.
Is rayon better than viscose?
Viscose fibre is the subcategory of rayon and possesses numerous similarities between each other. But at the same time, both of them have some differences in their properties which is crucial to know.
Here are their listed properties.
- Hypoallergenic properties- Rayon is naturally hypoallergenic that prevents people from getting allergies when used. While viscose is less hypoallergenic than rayon.
- Cooling tendency- Rayon has excellent cooling properties than viscose fibres.
- Dye absorption- Viscose fabric is not receptive to dyes as much as rayon.
After knowing the differences mentioned above, both rayon and viscose are good to use. However, people prefer rayon textiles due to their silky and soft texture.
Difference between rayon and viscose rayon
The differences between rayon and viscose rayon are as follows.
- People obtain rayon from the processing of wooden pulp through the cellulose immersion process. On the other hand, viscose-rayon fabric develops from plant fibres through the cellulose xanthate process.
- Rayon is the main component for making fabrics in the furnishing and medical industry. But, viscose rayon is used to make dress materials.
- Rayon has a high absorption tendency and viscose-rayon low absorption capacity.
- Viscose-rayon is more durable than rayon.
Difference Between Rayon And Viscose
The differences are as follows.
- Rayon fabric has high hypoallergenic properties than viscose fabric.
- Viscose fabric has low cooling tendency than rayon fabric.
1. Our bamboo viscose sheets good?
Bamboo viscose sheets are good to use as they are highly durable Difference Between Rayon And Viscose and uses strict and effluent treatment protocols to their efficiency.
2. Are rayon bamboo sheets good?
Rayon bamboo sheets are eco-friendly and efficient to provide comfort. Hence, they are good to use.
Also, check out our blog on How To Sleep After Wisdom Teeth Removal to know more.