Dalai Lama has said that ‘’sleep is the best meditation”. See, we don’t need any yoga instructor to teach us how to ‘meditate’! We can do it very well on our own. Anyway, an important thing about sleeping is the bedsheet we have chosen. And, a good-quality bedsheet does sort of deciding how our sleep is going to be. So, if you are not sleeping well because you are feeling uncomfortable with your bedsheet, you should try one of the best percale sheets. That might help a lot.
Now, what exactly is a percale sheet? Okay, so if you’ve stayed at any hotel, do you remember those crisp white bedsheets? Those are percale sheets (if they are not linen). Well, percale is a criss-cross (one- under-one-over) weaving pattern having a thread count of 200 or more using fibers like cotton, polyester, rayon, or other blends. The result of the pattern is a non-shiny, durable, breathable, smooth, lightweight, and strong fabric that is used in hotels and for other industrial purposes.
Sometimes, percale is mistaken to be sateen, but there is a major difference between the two weaving patterns. While percale is criss-cross, sateen has a satin-like weave pattern (four-over-one-under) and is shiny, unlike the former.
So, in this article, you will see the important factors you must keep in mind while buying one of the best percale sheets. Then, we will also take a look at 5 of the best percale bed sheets available in the market. Finally, you will see the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about these sheets.
Factors that you must keep in mind while buying best percale sheets
Budget is not the only thing you should keep in mind when you are buying a bedsheet, especially if you are a light sleeper. Such kinds of people are bothered by every single thing when they are sleeping. So, to have one less thing on the list of things that annoy you while sleeping is a good thing, right?
So, here are the important factors for buying bed sheets.
- Thread count
So, a thing you might have noticed in the fourth paragraph of this article is the word ‘thread count’. TC or thread count is the number of threads running lengthwise and widthwise per square inch. That is when we say that percale has a thread count of 200 (or more), it means that in a 1 inch by 1 inch square of the fabric, 100 (or more) cotton threads are running lengthwise and 100 (or more) threads widthwise. Just so you know, a thread count of 200 is like a line that divides a good-quality bed sheet and a bad-quality one (in terms of strength and softness).
So, next time you see thread count on the package of any bedsheet, you won’t be feeling clueless. Oh, you know what they say. You learn one new thing every day.
Any bed sheet having a TC higher than 200 is of good quality but do not expect a bed sheet of TC 1200 to be soft and high-quality. It could be, but not necessarily. Too closely packed threads might compromise with the softness of the fabric. Another plausible reason for a very high thread count is that it might be a marketing tactic.
Meaning, if a manufacturer is claiming that their bedsheet has such a high thread count, it might be fake and a technique to attract more customers. So, even after paying a huge lump sum of money, you would probably be left with a mediocre sheet that might be the same as the one bought by someone pretty uninterested in this article or the topic of bedsheets in general.
- The fit of the bedsheet
While purchasing a bedsheet, we always check which kind of bed it fits. For example, bedsheets can be Twin (also called Single), Double (also called Full), Queen, King, or California king. So, before choosing a bedsheet, make sure you know what kind of bed you own.
Another feature mentioned on the package of the bedsheet is ‘pocket depth’. Pocket depth is the depth of your mattress and is mostly mentioned in the product description of your mattress. You can also measure it yourself using a ruler or measuring rod.
So, the pocket depth is divided into 3 main categories – standard (7 to 12 inches), deep (13 to 17 inches), and extra deep (18 to 25 inches).
The third feature that should be covered here is the two main types of sheets. Most sheet sets include flat sheet(s), fitted sheet(s), and pillowcase(s). So, for those who are unaware of the difference between the two, flat sheets refer to the ones you cover yourself with while sleeping and fitted sheets are the ones you lay on the mattress. You can easily differentiate between the two because the latter generally has a border of elastic.
- Quality of the manufacturer
Apart from depending on the rest of the factors mentioned here, you should also check the authenticity of the bedsheet manufacturer. Read the reviews about it online, check the quality of the materials or if there is any chemical used, check its guarantee, check the certification, etc.
As mentioned above, percale sheets are made up of cotton, polyester, rayon, or blend of different materials. Although, you may find that the best percale sheets are made completely from cotton. There are different types of good-quality cotton fibers available, for example, Egyptian cotton, Pima cotton (grown in the USA), Supima cotton (Supreme Pima – made from extra-long staple Pima), and organic cotton. All these are the best varieties and make for a soft and durable bed sheet.
And if you didn’t know what an extra-long-staple (ELS) cotton fiber is, it is the fiber that is longer than 3.4 centimeters. The advantage of this fiber is that it makes a smoother and high-quality fabric. All of the above-mentioned varieties are ELS cotton fibers and that is why they are preferred so much.
Generally, as the thread count increases, the price also increases. It is because the smoothness and durability enhances with the enhancement in the TC. So, if you want to choose from the best percale sheets, you should leave behind the qualities of a miser. You know what they say, go big or go home (to the irritating and uncomfortable bedsheet that stops you from getting the best sleep).
- Availability of pillowcases
Most of the sheet sets come with one or two pillowcases and just like bedsheets, they come in different sizes too. So, the main categories of pillowcase sizes are standard-size (you can place one of them on a twin bed or two of them on a double bed), queen-size (you can place two of them on a queen bed), and king-size (you can place two of them on a king bed).
You also have the euro pillowcase for decorative purposes.
These are the main points that should be on your checklist when you are out sheet-shopping. If you understand and follow them to the T, nothing can stop you from owning the best percale sheets.
This section of the article will deal with the features of five of the most popular percale sheets available in the home-furnishing market.
The first percale sheet we have is from the trusted and renowned brand Eddie Bauer. It is not only good at first impressions but is also quite long-lasting.
- The set is available in four sizes – full, king, queen, and twin.
- Each set has a different size for the pillowcase(s).
- Apart from the pillowcase(s), you get one flat sheet and one fitted sheet.
- The pocket depth of the elasticized fitted sheet is 15 inches.
- The fabric is 100% cotton.
- It is soft, lightweight, crisp, and does not degrade after washing.
- The fabric is also wrinkle-free when taken out of the dryer.
- The thread count is 200.
The next bed sheet set on this list is from the very popular brand Peru Pima. It is preferred by many world-famous 5-star hotels like Sheraton, Marriott, Hilton, etc. Due to its remarkable features and longlasting nature, it is worth every penny you spend on it.
- This bed sheet is available in 5 sizes – King, Queen, Full, Twin, and California king.
- The fabric is made from extra-long staple Peruvian Pima cotton fiber.
- The thread count is 415.
- It is durable, crisp, breathable, cool, and gets softer after each wash.
- The elasticized fitted sheet has a pocket depth of up to 15 inches.
- It is also free from toxic chemicals as proven by its OEKO-TEX certification.
- The pillowcases available with the set have an envelope closure.
- Peru Pima also offers a 30-days return policy with a full refund on this product.
Next up, we have a high-quality bedsheet set from the well-known brand THOMAS LEE. With high thread count, comfortability, and other great features, this bed sheet set is recommended by many and is a favorite of all the customers.
- It is available in 4 different sizes – Full, Queen, King, and California king.
- The fabric is made from 100% long-staple US-grown Pima cotton fibers.
- It has a great thread count of 500.
- The sets are available in 2 colors – white and ivory.
- The sheets are cool, crisp, breathable, And the softness generally increases with washing.
- The pocket depth of the elasticized fitted sheet fits mattresses of width 9 inches up to 18 inches.
- The bed sheet set is backed by a 30-nights return policy with a full refund.
The fourth bedsheet set is from a brand called Linen Home linen is known to manufacture high-quality bed linen. It has great features and is also pocket-friendly.
- The bed sheet set has 10 colors to choose from.
- It has great features and is also pocket-friendly
- As the name product name suggests, 100% long-staple combed cotton yarns of India.
- The sheet has a thread count of 20 And the softness generally increases with washing.
- It is also OEKO-TEX certified, proving that there are no harmful chemicals involved in the manufacturing.
- It is also SEDEX-certified (SEDEX is a not-for-profit organization aimed at improving the ethical section of the worldwide supply chains).
- The pocket depth of the elasticized fitted sheet is 16 inches.
- The sheets are crisp, breathable, cool, softer after each wash, and are long-lasting.
Let’s end this list with another great and inexpensive bed sheet set from the brand called Auraa. It has lots of positive reviews, a happy customer base, and certifications that prove that its manufacturers care about the customer more than they care about the money.
- The bed sheet set has 17 patterns of different and attractive color combinations to choose from.
- It comes in four different sizes – full, queen, king, and twin.
- Aura is pure long-staple cotton fibers.
- The pocket depth of the elasticized fitted sheets is 16 inches.
- It has certifications from OEKO-TEX, SEDEX, BSCI, and ISO.
- The color of the sheet is fade-resistant even after numerous washes.
- Auraa also offers a 30-day money-back warranty if the customer does not feel satisfied with the set.
Choosing a bedsheet should consume at least some of your time because it is a material that is constantly in contact with your skin. So, you must check its certifications, thread count, comfort, and other features. And, if you are unsatisfied with its features, do not shy away from returning it. so, if you are planning to buy a percale sheet, make sure that you buy the best percale sheets.
Because, after all the hardships you go throughout the day, you deserve a good night’s sleep.
Now that we are at the end of this article, let’s see the answers to some of the most commonly asked doubts about percale sheets.
- How can you soften percale sheets?
The best percale sheets are pure cotton. And if the cotton is of good quality, you might find that it is initially quite stiff and wrinkly because natural cotton has these qualities. But, the softness gradually enhanced by washing. (Do stay away from chemicals like bleach)
- Are percale sheets soft?
Due to the sufficiently high thread count and the weaving pattern, percale sheets are very soft and breathable. These sheets are best suited for hot sleepers or customers living in places with a hot climate. And the softness generally increases with washing.
- Which is better – percale or sateen?
Sateen sheets are very slippery and drapey and do not give you a crisp feeling. Also, they are very glossy. On the other hand, percale sheets are not slippery. They are soft, crisp, strong, and breathable.
Anyway, the customer is the one who decides which one suits him/her better.