The Best Leg Elevation Pillow for Comfort and Support
First of all, why should we use a leg elevation pillow when we can just use one of the normal pillows we have? Well, not only do leg pillows or wedge pillows provide comfort to the legs, but they also help cure any medical condition the legs are going through. Leg pillows can improve blood circulation, prevent edema (swelling caused due to various health issues like heart failure, kidney damage, infections, etc), and reduce post-surgical pain. And when there are so many benefits that leg pillows provide you with, it is quite natural for you to want one for yourself or any of your dear ones.
So, in the next part of this article, we will discuss the important factors that help you decide which is the best leg pillow for you. Then, we will take a look at 5 of the best leg pillows available in the market. Finally, we will end this article with the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about leg elevation pillows.
Best Leg Elevation Pillow – Buying Guide
Since a leg elevation pillow is something you buy for your body, you cannot afford to go wrong. Because the incorrect choice could cause serious levels of discomfort and might lead to the onset of any health problem. So, here are the necessary factors that the best leg elevation pillow must be having.
Factors to look for before buying the best leg elevation pillow
- The reason for which you are buying the leg pillow
People generally use leg pillows for two main reasons – leisure and medical. Leisure means you using the leg pillow while lounging on the couch. Medical reasons might include back pain relief, post-surgical recovery, post-fracture recovery, etc.
Honestly, the reason for use doesn’t matter much because the leg pillow does the same for both cases. It elevates the leg above the heart. So, if you are using it for nothing specific, you are still preventing chances of edema, back pain, knee pain, etc (to a large extent). Using leg pillows, you can also correct your posture while sleeping because leg elevation pillows align the spine and reduce the pressure on the spinal cord. But, some pillows out there are strictly preferred for recovery from various kinds of pain or medical conditions.
- Material from which the pillow is made
Leg pillows are mainly made of foam. The two kinds of foam that are used are memory foam and polyurethane foam. Though polyurethane is an important ingredient of memory foam, the difference between the two is that the memory foam has many other constituents to increase its density and viscosity.
While reading the details of various leg elevation pillows, you might notice that some pillows are single-layered while the rest are double-layered. A single-layered pillow has only one type of foam. On the other hand, double-layered leg pillows have a top layer of memory foam and the rest of the space is occupied by polyurethane foam. The latter is used for the bottom because it is sturdier and resists losing its shape due to gravity.
But, the one major downfall of memory foam is that it has an awful or as many say, ‘off-gassing’ smell that makes it quite hard for people to be around it. What’s worse is that it takes at least a month for the smell to wear off. Also, the memory foam absorbs body heat and thins. So, inconsistent support might occur at times. This is why single-layered leg pillows should be less preferred.
- Angle of elevation of the pillow
The main goal of the leg elevation pillow is to lift your leg above your heart. So, a sufficient angle of inclination is important. Hence, you must go for leg pillows that offer a slope of at least 45 degrees.
- Sturdiness of the pillow and its material
You must look for a leg elevation pillow that has a sturdy material, neither too soft nor too firm. Memory foam is mostly used for such pillows because it is firm yet moldable enough but manages to get back to its original shape pretty quickly.
You should also ensure that the pillow does not flatten easily. Due to pressure from the lower extremities of the body, some pillows fail to stand steady. That is why polyurethane foams are used for the bottom of the leg pillows because they can withstand and equally resist the weight of the leg(s).
- Cover of the pillow
The cover of the leg elevation pillows is made of different materials. Some of the commonly preferred choices are cotton, polyester, polycotton, lycra, etc. You might also find pillows that do not have a cover sent with them.
But there are bigger issues to be concerned about if you do get a cover along with the leg pillow. You need to check whether it is removable, easy to clean, machine-washable, hypoallergenic, soft on skin, etc. Also, the cover must have a non-slippery grip, otherwise, your leg(s) will fall off the pillow. Your leg(s) can also fall off if the cover does not fit the leg elevation pillow snugly. So, the measurement needs to be precise.
You do not have to necessarily spend a huge amount of money on leg pillows because many manufacturers make and sell high-quality leg pillows at low prices. But, do not fix your budget too low or you might end up with disappointing pillows. Also, buy from someplace (online or offline) that offers a return policy so that you can return the product if you are left dissatisfied.
These are the main factors you have to keep in mind when you are searching for the best leg elevation pillow. And, if you follow them, nothing can stop your legs from getting the best comfort they deserve.
Best Leg Elevation Pillow Reviews
In this part of the article, we are going to review five of the best leg elevation pillows available in the market. Here we go then!
The first best leg elevation pillow we have here is from the brand MABIS DMI Healthcare. The manufacturer is known to make high-quality and inexpensive products for a better lifestyle. So, let’s check its features.
- It is available in 3 different sizes – 6 x 20 x 24 inches (32 degrees slope), 8 x 20 x 24 inches (40 degrees slope), and 10 x 20 x 30.5 inches (50 degrees slope).
- It can be used for post-surgical and general purposes.
- DMI improves blood flow and prevents or cures phlebitis, restless leg syndrome, varicose veins, back & knee pain.
- The wide platform gives sufficient space to adjust the legs.
- The pillow is made from durable high-density foam that does not undergo easy wear and tear.
- The removable cover is made of polycotton, has a zipper, and can be machine-washed.
- The leg pillow stays firm and does not easily mold.
- This can be used over and under the cover as per your wish.
The second leg elevation pillow is from the renowned and trusted brand Restorology. The pillow is extremely comfortable and comes at a reasonable price.
- The material is high-density memory foam.
- The dimension of the pillow is 8 x 16.5 x 23.6 inches.
- The pillow is inclined at an optimum slope of 45 degrees.
- The zippered, vented, and removable pillow cover is made of microfiber and is washable in machines.
- The pillow also has a non-slip grip to prevent it from moving.
- It promotes blood flow and cures edema, back pain, knee pain, leg pain, etc.
- It is also good for post-surgical and post-partum usage.
- Additionally, the leg elevation pillow is OEKO-TEX certified, which means no harmful chemicals were used in its manufacturing.
The third best leg elevation pillow on this list is from the brand InteVision which manufactures top-quality goods and sells them at a very reasonable price.
This pillow has many remarkable features and can be used for a variety of purposes.
- The leg pillow has a two-layered design that consists of a soft yet firm memory foam on top of a sturdy and wide foam base.
- The size of the pillow is 8 x 21 x 24 inches.
- The removable pillowcase is made from high-quality and durable Egyptian cotton which can be cleaned easily.
- It provides immediate relief from back pain and knee pain.
- The slope is perfect as it elevates the legs above the heart and relieves pain to a large extent.
The fourth leg pillow is from the brand Ebung. It has a lot of uses and is available at a surprisingly inexpensive price. Whether you are lounging on your couch watching a movie or resting after an injury or surgery, this pillow will be of great use to you. And its features will surely prove why it is called the best leg elevation pillow by many.
- The size of the pillow is 8 x 21 x 24 inches.
- It reduces knee pain, hip pain, and back pain.
- This is extremely useful to people post-surgery.
- It improves blood circulation, helps in spine alignment, prevents swelling, and gives you a good night’s sleep.
- The leg pillow has a double-layered structure. The top comprises a 2.5 inches memory foam and the base is made from sturdy polyurethane foam that resists gravity and losing shape.
- The removable cover is breathable, non-slippery, hypoallergenic, and soft on the skin.
The final best leg elevation pillow on this list is from the brand ProCare. For a change, this is a pillow that is mainly used by people recovering from fractures and surgeries.
- The size of the leg elevation pillow is 31 x 10 inches.
- The slope of the pillow is 45 degrees that elevates the leg above the heart.
- The material used is dense, fire-retardant foam that does not flatten and has a non-slippery grip.
- This leg pillow is extremely helpful in post-surgical recovery.
- It has a great price and lasts for a long time.
There are many pillows out there. Your friends might recommend something, your doctor might recommend something else. Ultimately, what matters is your choice and most of all, comfort.
And, following these factors and understanding the features of the given products will surely help you in zeroing down to the best leg elevation pillow.
Now, let’s end this article with the answers to some of the most commonly asked queries about best leg elevation pillow.
Which is the best leg elevation pillow for sciatica?
For sciatica, you can choose any of the leg elevation pillows mentioned in the list in this article or any other trusted source. Just make sure that you select a double-layered leg pillow because it will provide better support. The other thing you must take care of is that the slope of the pillow must be greater than 45 degrees.
What are some good leg pillows for side sleepers?
Side sleepers will find it hard to adjust with the wedge-shaped leg pillows because they require the user to sleep on his/her back. Instead, side sleepers can opt for good-quality knee support pillows from EnerPlex, ComfiLife, etc.
Which is a good leg elevation pillow that you can use during pregnancy?
Pregnant women can choose any leg pillow, provided it is double-layered, has a good slope, and the pillowcase is not slippery.