The Best Couch Bed – Top Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
Sleeping is a big part of our daily routines (well, for most of us). This activity even has the power to decide how the rest of our day goes. Similarly, what we sleep on is also crucial, be it the comfoter bed or the best couch bed. But, why opt for both for them when we have a sofa-cum-bed or (as many say) couch bed?
So, in this article, we are going to talk about how to identify the best couch bed available in the market today. For that, we would first have to see the factors that should be present in a couch bed. Then, we will acquaint ourselves with five of the best couch bed or comfoter bed that are being sold online. And finally, we will see some of the common queries about these items of furniture.
If you are wondering, the reason for selecting couch beds is because they are efficient as they serve two purposes – sitting and sleeping (quite the important purposes of a human indeed). And, they are available in different sizes for suiting different sizes of rooms. So, even if you are living in a studio apartment, you do not have to compromise on your sleep.
Well, now that we established why couch beds are very helpful, shall we move forward to the factors that make up the best couch bed?
Best Couch Bed – Buying Guide
In this section of the article, we will be listing down the most important features or factors that we must keep an eye on while buying the best couch bed. So, let’s get to it.
Factors to look for while buying the best couch bed
- Type of sofa bed
Broadly dividing the types of sofa beds, three categories can be formed –a traditional sofa bed, futon sofa bed, and click-clack sofa bed. The first category of couch bed has two separate mattresses for sleeping and sitting. Also, it has two frames – wooden and metallic mechanical.
The wooden frame supports and shapes the couch while the metallic frame supports the mattress and helps in pulling it out from underneath. So, when looking for a traditional couch bed, choose one with a strong and moisture repelling wooden frame. Because accumulation of moisture can splinter the wood and render it useless.
If possible, go for a kiln-dried hardwood or a combination of kiln-dried hardwood and furniture-grade plywood sofa (as there is no moisture absorption in this). So, there are no chances of splinters. Plus, try avoiding pine wood as it softer. And, in the case of the mechanical frame, go for one that is sturdy but light enough for easily pulling it out.
So, when you are in the shop, try testing these frames and the open-and-close mechanism before you are sure.
The futon couch bed has the same mattress for sleeping and sitting instead of two separate ones. In this, the backrest is foldable to convert the futon into a make-shift bed.
The third category of sofa bed is the click-clack couch bed that looks like a traditional couch bed but functions like a futon couch bed. So, it doesn’t have a separate mattress for sleeping. The existing mattress serves as a sleeping surface and can be conveniently used by more than one person at a time due to its wide area.
- Material of mattress
Mattresses are always the most important part of a couch bed. As they are what we sit or sleep on (both, in the case of futon sofa beds), it is very important to look for the mattress with the right material. Mostly, the fibers in them are organic/textured cotton, latex, microfiber, coconut coir, and wool.
So, make sure you have the right mattress, or get ready to walk like a half-sleepy zombie the next day.
The outer covering of the mattress can be of leather (Prefer the faux one. You don’t want to be cruel to animals, do you?), polyester-cotton blend, acrylic, olefin, microfiber, or nylon.
While cotton looks good, it is not suitable for daily use as it traps dirt easily. Microfiber has an economical price and is classy-looking. Polyester-cotton mix is also quite inexpensive and does not wrinkle easily. And even if leather is expensive, it can be effortlessly cleaned.
The synthetic fibers are mixed with the natural ones to add properties to the fabric like stain-prevention, fade-prevention, and durability.
If the mattress is built with memory foam at the top-most layer, the bed will be more comfortable because of its characteristic nature to mold according to the sleeper’s shape.
- Number of folds of mattress
The mattresses of the couch beds generally have a two-fold or tri-fold design. The first type of mattress is thicker as compared to the second. It is also more affordable and comfortable. But the tri-fold mattresses are also comfortable to use.
While you are testing the sofa bed, also ensure to measure its size when it is open and closed. This is an important step, especially if you are living in a small room. Also make sure it is not too heavy to maneuver.
- Legs of the sofa bed
Some sofa beds are legged while some are not. The non-legged sofa beds are mattresses that can be foldable according to the purpose. They are much more compact and do not take up much space. Also, after use, they can be stored.
The legged couch beds mostly have chrome or wooden legs. The metallic legs give a sophisticated look to the furniture but make sure they are padded. Otherwise, they can scratch the floor while being moved.
All these factors should be taken care of when you are buying a new sofa bed. and now that we know quite a bit about the sofa beds, we shall move ahead to the products section of this article.
Best Couch Bed Reviews
Here, we will take a look at six of the most rated couch beds. These are given so that you can have a clearer idea of which type of furniture you prefer for yourself.
The first couch bed is from a mattress manufacturing company called Serta. This team is known to make high-quality and affordable mattresses. So, let’s see this sofa bed’s features.
- The couch bed has a very sophisticated design and uses eucalyptus wood.
- It is available in a navy blue color.
- It is best suited for small spaces.
- The fabric for the covering is made of polyester and can be easily cleaned.
- It can be used in three positions – sitting, lounging, and sleeping.
- The conversion into bed uses click-clack technology.
- The mattress has a layer of memory foam.
- The package comes with simple instructions to assemble the pieces.
The second sofa bed for the position of the best couch bed is from the company Giantex. It has several remarkable features and is surprisingly pretty inexpensive.
- It is available in two colors – grey and brown.
- It has a tri-fold design and is easy to store.
- The cover is made from polyester and is removable.
- The magic (Velcro) sticks on both sides provides a secure seating, sleeping, and lounging.
- Its flocking surface is skin-friendly.
- The high-density foam is also comfortable to the body.
The third sofa and best couch bed is from the company Emily. This is a great piece of furniture and provides a lot of remarkable features even if it is sold at a low price.
- It is available in a vanilla white color.
- It has a faux leather upholstery that looks elegant and can be easily cleaned.
- The futon couch comes with a chaise lounge which can be rearranged to provide more room while sleeping.
- The pieces are also easy to assemble.
The next couch bed for a change is a foldable mattress that can be used as a sofa and a make-shift bed. It is very cheap and takes up very little space. This versatility has gathered a lot of positive reviews.
So, let’s check the features of this product from the company Milliard.
- It can be used in big and small spaces.
- It is light enough to easily move and can be carried as a temporary bed while traveling.
- The sofa bed also has a soft cover that is removable and machine washable.
- The tri-fold mattress is made of CertiPUR-US certified high-density foam that does not wear out or lose shape.
- The fabric of the zippered cover is a breathable mesh polyester.
- The size is comfortable even for tall people.
- It is durable and lasts for a long time.
The next product on this list is a highly rated and comfortable couch bed from the company Yaheetech.
- The futon sofa bed is available for two prices in four different colors – black, grey, white, and brown.
- The ergonomically designed sofa has three removable armrests.
- The middle armrest has two cup-holders. While resting on the sofa, you can comfortably have a coffee or two and not worry about where you will keep the glass(es).
- The covering of the sofa is made of faux leather and the legs are made of iron.
- The legs are padded to prevent scratching while moving the sofa.
- The mattress is made of high-density sponge that makes it firm but soft enough.
- For sleeping, the backrest can be reclined and armrests can be removed. Even if the armrests are not removed, they can be used as a cushion.
The last product on this list is from the company Best Choice Products. It has many remarkable features and enjoys a lot of positive feedback. So, let’s check its features.
- It is available in two different colors – beige and grey.
- The couch bed has two removable armrests and a middle armrest that can be folded into the backrest.
- The middle armrest has two cup-holders.
- The removable armrests are attached to the futon by Velcro and can be removed while sleeping.
- Its cover is made from natural linen, and it is comfortable and high-quality.
- The legs are made of chrome.
- The backrest can be inclined to different positions for sitting, lounging, or sleeping.
- It is also very easy to assemble. All you have to do is attach the legs to the mattress.
All the mentioned factors and products are pretty much more than enough for you to get an idea about your best couch bed. Admitted, it will take time quite some time to find one. So, once you find it after cross-checking the reviews and testing the product by yourself, nothing will stop you from enjoying your sleep!
1. What is the difference between a sofa bed and a futon sofa bed?
A futon sofa bed is a type of sofa bed that has the same mattress for sitting and sleeping. The headrest used while sitting is generally pushed back to make way for a bed.
The traditional sofa bed has two different mattresses for sitting and sleeping. While sleeping, the second mattress has to be pulled out from underneath using an open-and-close mechanism.
2. Which is the best couch bed for the studio apartment?
As studio apartments do not have much space, choose a couch bed that is in the shape of a chair. It should be both comfortable and a space-saver.
3. Can couch beds be reupholstered?
Yes, most of the couch beds are designed to be upholstered. In the majority of cases, it is certainly less expensive than buying a new best couch bed altogether. Also, upholstering reveals the dirt caught on to the mattress.